So after a few hours of coding at SoPCON 1 I´m proud to release a new iteration of Hero. This iteration features:
- New lighting with HLSL shaders
- Tilted tiles
- Pickable doors
- feedback when, inventory is full
- Height advantage bonus
- Light to hit bonus and penalties
- No backstab with ranged weapons
- Ranged weapons get penalties when used too close
Big thanks to everyone for testing and support!
Wooot! SoPCON 1 has started (well just barely...) and we even got the live streaming up and running! Feel free to join the SoPCON 1 stream and chat over at bambuser!
SoPCON Day 2 Live Stream
SoPCON Day 1 Stream
Update: Awwwh... SoPCON 1 day 1 is coming to an end! Thanks for all the great comments on the chat! See you all tomorrow! And don't forget to check out the two new game releases on hUb
We are currently experiencing problems on our hUb server. Right now hUb only works in offline mode and you can play the games you have previously installed.
We are working on resolving the problems and hope to have the server up and running in a short period of time. Sorry for any inconvenience.
edit: The hUb server is back online again at 10:26! (GMT +1, i.e. Swedish time)
The new demo has a few more dungeons for you to explore, I have also added items, bushes and other things to decorate dungeons with.
You can also enjoy a new user interface, some of you will recognize it from Caribbean Pirate Quest, but I think the theme works great for Hero.
I have added a options menu so you can set your favorite resolution, or play in windowed mode if you like, I also added a option to change the brightness for all of you with dark monitors...
On the technical side I have rewritten the ray-tracer so you will experience more accurate and faster lighting and shadows. I have removed some of the flickering graphics.
Game play has been changed so now you pick items with LEFT mouse button, and you can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel. Equiping armor and drinking potions now takes time units, so you can be stabbed when enjoying your 75% potion.
I have started to work on the skill-system, so when you raise "melee weapon skill" you also unlock new weapons, similar system will be done for the other skills in the future.
I have corrected a few bugs including the ALT-TAB bug from iteration 4.
I really hope you enjoy playing Hero and write a line or two in the forum what you like or dislike!
As every game developer with self respect has their own conference we're happy to announce SoPCON 1!
Spell of Play Studios has been active as an indie game studio since 2004 and using our own digital distribution platform hUb and our unique view on game development we have slowly but surely built a vibrant community of gamers and developers.
We now want more developers and partners to join us to increase the breadth and quality of the games released on hUb.
SoPCON 1 is the place to meet us and other developers for some gaming, jamming and ranting.
When and Where
Gothenburg, Sweden, 11-12 July 2009.
A limited number of invitations have been sent out to a select few developers. If you have not got one you are free to contact us at; email@example.com, and tell us who you are.
No, though you have to arrange your own meals and accommodation.
Would you like your company exposed on SoPCON? Feel free to contact us for any marketing and/or sponsorship opportunities.
After two weeks of hard work, I´m proud to present iteration 4 of Hero!
Download an play for free today!
The focus of iteration 4 was to make dungeons a bit more interesting, previous iterations have had generated dungeons, but now I got a in game editor and can create great custom dungeons. I also introduce stairs, water and floors on different levels. Hero iteration 4 contains 3 different dungeons so check them out!
Stealth now works better in dark areas, so put out that torch and back stab your enemies to oblivion!
Hero I4 also got some great music from mad!
Iteration 4 is the result of 30 hours of hard work, and it is only two short weeks to iteration 5 so help me prioritize by giving feedback in the Hero forum!
We have just been listed as one of the 15 hottest young game development companies in Sweden by Metro Teknik. In all of our humbleness we can just agree on our supreme hotness
You can read the full article and take a look at some other fine Swedish indie developers in the list here.
hUb 1.22 has just been released as an automatic update. This is a very minor release fixing some login issues and doing some user interface enhancements.
- You will now be correctly remembered if you decide to logout and login during the same session
- You can now login multiple times during the same session.
- Some login user interface widgets are grayed out during login procedures
As usual this update is automatically applied when you start hUb.
I´m happy to announce that the third iteration of Hero have been released on hUb! I have worked hard on Hero during the two weeks and here are some of the news in Hero iteration 3.
- New item graphics thanks to Gridur
- First mini quest introduced (very simple)
- Lighting in dungeons have been improved
- Towns, Temples and forts are reintroduced
- New map with a few dungeons
- First aid skill
- New experience system
- Higher dungeon walls (thank you johno for pointing this out)
- Enemies and crates behind walls shows outlined
- Quest dialogues
- better enemy selection feedback
Thank you all for your feedback and support!
Update: Contest is now closed and the winners will soon be announced!
Update 2: This contest is open for people from all countries.
We're hosting a Twitter contest together with Mevio web show Rad on the Web You can win some awesome prices like our t-shirts and games!
The contest has started! Watch the episode and follow the instructions and win win win!
Contest entrants will be listed here and the winners will be announced on Monday!
And now for the few rules.
- Watch the above episode for info on how to enter the contest.
- Twitter user names will be listed on this page and will be the official list of contest entrants.
- On monday (may 25) we'll randomly select 10 winners, 5 will win a game license for a game of their choice, 5 will win a Spell of Play t-shirt with a motif of their choice.
- Winners will be posted on this page, and notified via @-message on twitter.
- Winners must respond with sufficient contact details within 24h upon notification. If you win a game an email address is sufficient, if you win a t-shirt we'll need an address to ship it to.
- There are no restrictions on where you're from (as long as we can ship a t-shirt to you if you win at reasonable cost)